Thursday, September 4, 2008

Utah Dems Disgusting Attack on Palin: How to Lose an Election

Wayne Holland has gone too far. In a press release on Sarah Palin, the Utah Democrats claim Sarah Palin is a member of an Anti-Mormon church. From their press release:

"Will Republicans of the LDS faith vote for Sarah Palin, a devout member of
an anti-Mormon denomination?"

This claim of Palin belonging to an anti-Mormon faith is absolutely false. And in two ways.

First, the Church the Dems refer to is the Assembly of God. But Palin hasn't been a member there since 2002.

Second, the Assembly of God is not an anti-Mormon faith. Officially, they have no stance. But I can relate personally that these folks are not anti-Mormon as a whole. When I served an LDS Mission in Texas, I tracted into many AoG members who wished us well in spreading the message about Christ. They were, on the whole, very kind, and humble people. A few wanted to argue and give us literature to explain our faith to us, but that happened with random folks everywhere.

Now the Utah Democrats have stepped back from their release. Gratefully, the
It's truly a shame that Party Chair Wayne Holland has seen fit to belittle Palin based on her faith. Is there any area off limits in politics any more? Perhaps there never was, and never will be.

Democrats are simply lucky to have people like Sen Pat Jones, my former boss, to help deflect the criticism. She's the best thing the Democrats have going for them.

Republicans should pounce on this as proof the Democrats in Utah will use any and all available issues to win. If Wayne Holland wants to complain it's unfair, perhaps he should have his press releases checked for accuracy, and more importantly, stop trying to draw in LDS voters through fear.

Note to Democrats: As an LDS Republican in Utah, I don't think I, or my LDS friends, are drawn to your victimization narrative. I could care less if members of my party think my religion is a cult: I would probably think the same thing if I heard the silly rumors spread about Mormons. You're going to have to do better than that to make me question my commitment to fiscal discipline, limited government, and personal freedom.

No comments: