Wednesday, October 1, 2008

What Texas Hold 'em and Solomon Tell Me About the Smear of Greg Hughes

Two things tonight.

First, a poker analogy.

Facing an attack on his ethics and integrity, Greg Hughes was a masterful poker player today. Waiting, watching, and observing the actions of his detractors. He read the reports leaked to the media. Knowing he was guilty in no way of any unethical conduct, he did what all great poker players do: He slow played, and then reraised all in. This takes patience and discipline. But by calling for a full ethics investigation not only of his conduct, but that of Rep. Phil Riesen, Greg Hughes has called the bluff of Sheryl Allen, Phil Riesen, and the Democratic Party operatives behind this smear.

Let the investigation begin!

Second, a biblical analogy. In Ecclesiastes, the preacher writes:

To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven...A time to keep silence, and a time to speak.(Ecc 3:1, 7)
Despite the loud and relentless nature of politics, there are indeed times for silence. But for the friends of Greg Hughes, it is a time to speak. Now.

With an ethics charge against Rep. Hughes now filed, the most explosive charge is based entirely on hearsay. Two different versions of the same conversation. But in the drive by media, such accusations can ruin the public's trust in their elected leaders. That's why I took today off from work: Greg Hughes has many friends, but we must speak. I spent today on comment boards, defending, explaining, attempting to give insight to the public, asking for them to withhold judgement. It cost me a day of leave time at work. But I refuse to stand by idly, while my friend has his reputation run through the mud.

Everyone, it's time to speak for Greg Hughes.

3 comments:

a random John said...

I'll speak up and say that I know nothing about the ethics investigation other than what has been in the news. What I do know from personal experience is that Rep Hughes is completely unresponsive to his constituents. He had multiple chances to earn my respect. Simply acknowledging an email would have gone a long way. Instead he has time for those that give him money. I'll vote against him at every opportunity because of his failure to interact with those he purports to represent.

Brian said...

Random-

I have never given Greg any money, but he's never failed to return my calls, and I'm not even in his district. I'm suprised at your situation, and I invite you to email me privately. I'm fairly certain that this is some kind of oversight or SNAFU that he would love to correct given the time. What do you say?

a random John said...

I wouldn't give Greg any money either! Good for you!

In any case you've been emailed and I await your response.