Monday, October 6, 2008

7 Days of Drama

According to the Weber and Davis Co. Attorneys, their investigation of bribery allegations in the Treasurer's Race will conclude "early next week". The Trib has the story: http://www.sltrib.com/ci_10652477

So.... If this is true (remember, they said they'd be done in early August, and that didn't go so well), we have 7 Days of Drama starting Wednesday.

On Wednesday and Friday, Greg Hughes and Phil Riesen have the Ethics Committee conducting private hearings on their ethics complaints. This blogger is particularly irked by the private nature of these hearings. Think about it: If you are blasted in the media over a leaked ethics complaint, as Hughes has been, does it not make sense to have a public clearing of the air? This seems to be a manipulation of a process established to protect against just the sort of "October Suprise" many believe that this situation represents. If so, the process needs to be reformed, because a private vindication of a publicly aired grievance cannot possibly repair the damage to those who are innocent. As one person associated with Watergate inquiries who was later cleared of wrongdoing said, "Where do I go to get back my good name?" The Ethics Hearings may not answer this question, but whatever the outcome, the Legislature is certain to attempt an answer next year.


Then, on next Tuesday, the 14th, the Davis and Weber Co. Attorneys should present their findings in the Ellis/Empey/Walker probe. This could be the beginning of vindication for Walker, which is my sincere hope. I have endorsed Dick Clark, the Democrat, for this office due to the way this probe began. I challenge Richard Ellis to tell the public the truth in the wake of whatever the outcome of the investigation: Did your campaign receive legal services as an in-kind contribution from the UEA, or are your disclosure reports incomplete? This is a question I do not imagine Ellis will answer, but the public deserves to know.

To my friends, Rep. Hughes and Mark Walker, best of luck to you this week.

3 comments:

Rob said...

"Democratic Party operatives behind this smear."

Explain this one Brian.

Rob said...

I didn't think you had a good answer Brian, because there isn't one. This is a legit complaint and I thank you for your silence which helps prove this point.

"Too legit to quit!"

Brian said...

Don't take my silence as ignoring the point, Rob. I got a bit busy with regular life.

My claim that Dem operatives had it is illustrated by the fact that Bill Keshlear quoted from the ethics complaint before the media had the full complaint. Just read the other portions of the blog, Rob, and you'll see what I'm talking about.

I should thank you, by the way. As soon as I saw your facebook update the night the Hughes / Lawrence / Riesen drama hit the news, I only knew because you linked it. Once again, Facebook shows it has value in politics.

One last thing. I'm endorsing one Democrat this year: Dick Clark.